General Dentistry Makes For a Healthy and Beautiful Smile
If you consider the aspects that are most valued in a beautiful smile, you will see that they are all related to the health of the smile.
- White teeth are valued because they are visibly free from decay and have thick, healthy enamel.
- Proportionate teeth show that they are not worn down from a bad bite or chipped, cracked, or broken because of trauma.
- Straight teeth speak to a healthy bite and to teeth that are solidly fixed in the jaw and not mobile because of gum disease.
It’s an essential part of cosmetic dentistry to ensure teeth are healthy before we recommend procedures to improve their appearance. Likewise, when we treat health conditions in your teeth using restorations, we strive to ensure that those restorations are as beautiful as your natural teeth. Your general dentists, Dr. Green and Dr. Van Tassell are committed to providing you with a smile you love that is functional and healthy.
Preventive Dentistry in Wichita Falls
Preventive dentistry is front-line care for your teeth. If you take the time to perform preventive care on your teeth and gums, you will dramatically reduce your need for treatments for gum disease or reconstructive dentistry related to tooth decay. Practicing preventative care items allows you to keep your natural teeth healthy and beautiful.
There are three main components of preventive dentistry: diet, oral hygiene, and regular dental visits.
- Our diet plays a significant role in our tendency to develop tooth decay and gum infection. The high levels of sugar and refined carbohydrates in our food can fuel the growth of oral bacteria in our mouths. This bacteria secretes acid that damages teeth and gums. Our food also contains acid that can erode our teeth. Reducing the acid and sugar in your diet can help improve your oral health.
- Your regular oral hygiene is perhaps the most critical aspect of preventive dentistry. Brushing your teeth twice a day and flossing your teeth every day removes buildups of oral bacteria–called plaque–and food debris. This reduces the damage that oral bacteria will do to your teeth.
- Regular dental visits allow us to help you clean your teeth. Small amounts of plaque that aren’t removed can harden, becoming tartar. Tartar shelters oral bacteria and will enable them to grow. Tartar can’t be removed by brushing or flossing, but we can remove it in our office. Your checkups will enable us to give you advice for improving your home hygiene routine, and they let us detect damage to your teeth before it becomes severe. We also screen for oral cancer at every cleaning to catch a problem before it progresses.
Follow an Oral Care Routine to Keep Your Smile Healthy
Do you wonder what your dentist’s recommendations are for your oral care routine? Most of us know that we need to brush our teeth, but is there more?
We recommend that you brush your teeth twice per day with a non-abrasive tooth brush. Once in the morning after breakfast and once in the evening before bed. There are many great toothpastes and the best one depends on your situation. If you have sensitive teeth due to weak enamel, we recommend you use a toothpaste specifically formulated for sensitive teeth, such as Sensodyne. If you need extra plaque and tartar protection, we recommend Colgate Total or Crest Pro Health.
The American Dental Association recommends that you floss your teeth once a day. If flossing with regular dental floss is cumbersome for you, you could try a water flosser.
Lastly, we recommend using mouthwash after each time you brush. Try to use one with fluoride to keep your teeth protected and healthy.
Dental Exams are More Than a Cleaning
It’s important to visit your Wichita Falls dentist twice per year to get the tartar and plaque build-up from your teeth, but a dental exam is more than a cleaning. During your exam, we check for damage to your teeth such as chipping, cracking, wear, and decay. We also check for gum disease and screen your mouth for oral cancer.
Why Do I Need X-Rays?
X-rays help us determine if there are underlying issues that aren’t visible on the surface such as oral cancer, infections, gum disease, the need for fillings or orthodontics. These issues don’t only affect your mouth, they can cause other problems throughout your body. Gum disease is known to get into your bloodstream and travel to you heart and brain. Its important to catch these thing early, so we take x-rays at your dental exams and cleanings.
Emergency Dental Care
Do you have an emergency? Perhaps you were in an accident and lost some teeth or you’re experiencing locked-jaw due to TMJ? Whether you are missing teeth, have a tremendous tooth ache, or are in need of neuromuscular care, we can help. Call us and let us know it’s an emergency and we’ll get you in the same day. Our dentists are compassionate general dentists and are committed to giving you the best care in Wichita Falls.
General Dentistry in Wichita Falls
Your oral health is important and people in Wichita Falls choose StarImage Dentistry to get the best dental care. If you’re looking for a general and cosmetic dentist—someone focused on your health and the appearance of your smile, choose Dr. Green and Dr. Van Tassell. Call 940-322-2252 or make an appointment online.